Greetings WYL Families!
Welcome to the Spring 2022 Westwood Youth Lacrosse Season! Below you will find an overview which will be helpful to keep for future reference. Please take the time to read it over so you and your son are well-informed and well-prepared for a great season of lacrosse!
Westwood Youth Lacrosse league-wide communications will be sent via email using our website notification system. Messages will arrive from the address email@example.com. Please add this address to your contacts to ensure you receive messages.
Please also refer to our website (WestwoodYouthLacrosse.com) for team game schedules (under the teams tab), answers to frequently asked questions and other helpful information.
TeamSnap & Coach Emails
Team-specific communications will come from your coach. WYL will make TeamSnap available for coaches to use for family communications in addition to email. Your coach will let you know at the start of the season how he prefers to communicate.
Additionally, you can follow us on:
Regular outdoor practices will start in mid to late March, as soon as the town has officially opened the fields. Please note, field conditions dictate when the fields can open; we’re at the mercy of mother nature and our New England weather! Full equipment is required at all practices.
We are still awaiting field assignments from the Recreation Department but anticipate that players will practice on Tuesdays and Thursday after 6pm. Final specific times and fields will be communicated by your coach once fields are confirmed.
Games are held on Sundays between 9am and 6pm. Our first games will be on 4/3 and the last games will be on 6/5. No games will be held on Easter Sunday or Memorial Day Weekend. Sunday field availability in Westwood is limited so each team will have at least 4 away games. We expect the game schedule to be set toward the end of March. Once schedules are set, they will be posted on the website under the teams tab and by your coach on TeamSnap if he opts to use it.
- Thurston: grass fields behind the Middle School
- Flahive: main turf field at the High School right on Nahatan Street
- Multipurpose: turf field behind the High School
An Important Note about Fields and Schedules
Fields are at a high premium in Westwood. We are fortunate to have field time at Flahive, Multipurpose and Thurston. But, it’s important to note that High School and Middle School Athletics may preempt WYL on these fields from time to time. As a result, our schedule will always be subject to changes and coaches will communicate changes as early as possible.
Prior to attending his first practice, your son will need the equipment outlined here. Please note, that starting in January 2022, all players are required to wear a chest protector that is designed for lacrosse and meets the NOCSAE standard ND200. For more information, please refer to this FAQ page on the USALacrosse website. Given current supply chain issues, we recommend getting your chest protector early.
MBYLL has arranged some opportunities for parents to purchase equipment at a discount.
- Dicks Sporting Goods is offering MBYLL members 20% off their entire purchase February 25-28. Click here for the flyer and more details.
- Visit the MBYLL Store on Signature Lacrosse for discounts on quality gear. Also, now through Feb 28th, save 35% off complete sticks for boys and girls from Signature Lacrosse! Use code MBYLLSTICK35 to save!
- Keep an eye out for information from MBYLL on periodic discounts with Lax.com.
Uniforms & WYL Apparel Store
Uniform orders were due on January 17. Uniforms will be mailed directly to your home from Atlantic Sportswear. If you missed the deadline, please reach out to Matt Stuehler at
Keep an eye out for emails about our upcoming WYL Apparel Store!
Team Formation & Assignments
Teams are being formed and you should be hearing from your son’s coach by mid-March. For G12 teams, we work to group players on teams with their classmates roughly by elementary school. For G34, G56 and G78 Classic teams, head coaches from each level collaborate to create balanced teams to ensure a positive experience for all players and optimal player development program-wide.
Call for Volunteers
As a 100% volunteer-run organization, WYL is always looking for dedicated volunteers. It’s a great way to get involved in your community, get to know other families and help give our boys a great lacrosse experience. Currently we are eager to hear from anyone interested in helping out in one of the following areas:
- G12 Assistant Coaches: No lacrosse experience required
- Community Building & Social Committees: Help choose, coordinate and plan community-building and player-enrichment events such as:
- Spring Player Service Project
- Special Teams--MBYLL Jamboree, Border Battle, Shoot-Out for Soldiers, Winter leagues
- G12 Memorial Jamboree
- League Outings & Player Experiences--PLL All-Star Game at Gillette 7/16; NCAA Finals Memorial Day Weekend, Local College Games
- Parent Socials
- Wildcard: Have an idea for another way you’d like to get involved? We’d love to hear from you.
- Board and Administrative Positions: With many current board members’ sons aging out of the program this Spring and next, we’re seeking volunteers with younger sons in the program to ensure a smooth transition. Upcoming openings include:
- Director of Coaching
- Referee Coordinator
- Publicity & Communications Coordinator
- Director of Technology
- Director of Special Events
- Uniforms & Apparel Coordinator
Interested? Indicate your areas of interest and we’ll contact you to answer questions and help you find a good match. Or, email
Looking forward to seeing you on the fields soon!
Head, Heart, Hustle